Skip to main content

What Makes A Woman?


Photo by Karl Magnuson on Unsplash

 What makes a woman? 

Here is a question I have been asking myself and some around me for years. I have struggled to define womanhood, and to an extent, so have those around me. 


If we look back at history and compare it to the present, one thing is for sure, the definition of a woman has changed over time. The definition of a woman is no longer what it used to be. It is safe to say that the nuances of “woman” have evolved, as they should. 


The pre-contemporary woman was identified by her temperament and demeanor. A good woman submitted to patriarchy, was docile and fertile. There was no place for a woman to be her person much less to take up space or have a voice. 


The modern woman, on the other hand, is nothing short of revolutionary. She is strong-willed and does whatever she puts her mind to. The primitive will call her selfish but the millennials call her admirable.



Photo by Junior REIS on Unsplash


I remember asking several women around me what made a woman a woman because I desperately wanted to know when I could consider myself a woman. Some of the older ones said it was undoubtedly when you got married. But what if I never got married?


A contemporary told me it was through child-bearing. What if I never had a child, would I never be a woman?


A friend thought it depended solely on strength. How well you handle adversity. How hard you can hustle, grind and take care of your children, parents, and spouse. 


At one point I realized I had to define womanhood for myself and stop letting the perception of others hover over me. I thought I had it figured out. I thought for sure I was a woman because I lived alone and was able to hold things down (as much as possible). You can imagine my surprise when I posed the question to some of my senior students and one said, “Miss, a woman can not be defined.”


That hit like a tonne of bricks. She was right not because womanhood is fluid but because “woman” is ever-evolving - forever adapting and setting her own boundaries and standards. May we continue to evolve.


Photo by Joel Muniz on Unsplash


It is one thing to acknowledge the contribution of women to society every year in March but it is a different thing to allow women to be free from every shackle - invisible and visible. Every woman has the right to show up as her most authentic and highest self. 


In the words of the great Audre Lorde, “No woman is free until all women are free.”

That means we still have work to do.


Affirm:

I will not be silent.

There is liberty in my truth.

I will not rest until every woman is free. 


Photo by Clarke Sanders on Unsplash




Do you honor the woman in you? Do you honor the women around you? In what ways are you advancing the work?  


Namasté, my friends. 


Comments

  1. A woman cannot be defined! Here is to ever evolving. Cheers

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It Is Okay To Rest.

 Rest  Photo by Annie Spratt on Unsplash I recently rang a relative to wish her happy birthday and asked her what she planned to do for the day. She candidly replied, "Work. We are a hard-working family, remember?"  She was telling the truth. I grew up watching my family till the soil with their bare hands, after all "by the sweat our brow" we had to eat. There is nothing wrong with working hard to provide for yourself and others but at what cost? I decided a long time ago that would not be my narrative.  Balance  Photo by Karsten Winegeart on Unsplash  I know what it means to work yourself to the ground. I know what it means to grind and hustle. I know what it means to get caught up in the horrors and toxicity of capitalism. I had to watch my mother do it and, for a while, I inherited that culture.  But there is nothing wrong with laying it down and walking away to redefine productivity.  I know what it means to work myself to exhaustion but, I also know what it

Not Afraid of Winning!

 Not Afraid of Winning! Photo by Laurent Perren on Unsplash Like most writers and artists, I struggle with imposter syndrome and anxiety. I almost could not sit down and wield myself to write this blog.  I am learning that the first step to recovery is acknowledging you have a problem. I own that I am often afraid to pick up a pen and write, take my brush and paint much less to share my creations.  Don't get me wrong, I know greatness is in my bones. I know I can bend words and start a movement if I choose. But deep down, when the accolades are covered in dust, I tend to forget the kind of magic that exists within me. Some parts of me refuse to believe that I deserve to win.  Luckily, I am not alone in this battle and one of the perks of being part of a creative community is that you always have the wisdom of others walking you home. I'll always be grateful for my fellow writers (Edd and Erwin) and friends like Novie and Lisa who always encourage me to "do something"

I Am Not Alone.

                                                  I Am Not Alone.                                                                                  Photo by Saffu on Unsplash If we are anything alike, then you most likely value solitude. And there is nothing wrong with that. However, there are lessons that we need to learn alone and those we need to learn through community.  Photo by Hans Vivek on Unsplash I am finally brave enough to embrace a lesson that the Universe has been trying to teach me for some time now. Whenever I go through hard times, my first instinct is to isolate myself. I have been afraid to let others in (with good reason of course). I was afraid to ask for help or reach out.  Recently I came to realize that I am not alone and every dry spell, drought, or wilderness I had to walk through, there was always someone walking me home. I was not alone when I was rendered homeless twice. I was not alone when I had to move out. Neither was I alone when I moved from apartmen