Skip to main content

The Reasons Behind "Bonfire"



Several of my readers have been asking about my recently published collection of poetry "Bonfire". The story is quite fascinating, if I do say so myself. Had someone told me a few years ago I would have been published at age 26, I would not have believed them.
Don't get me wrong, I have always considered myself to be a writer. But it was never a priority; I wrote only when I felt like it. 
My most accomplished piece of writing would most definitely be my manuscript for my first novel. But it has yet to be published. The reason for this is because I was turned down by several publishers and I let that deter me. When I finally found a publisher, I was also asked to change the plot of my story because it was too controversial. I considered self-publishing but I was afraid of how it might be received. 
I felt defeated and I felt like quitting on the novel altogether. But that was when "Bonfire" came to me like a candle in a dark room. The poems came flooding in one after the other. They came to me at odd hours, waking me up from my sleep and keeping me up way past midnight. 
After many requests from those who knew my potential, I decided to self-publish. It wasn't the novel but still I had done something I had always wanted to do.  I did for 3 main reasons. 

I did it for me.

For the last 3 years, I was engaged in a fierce battle with depression. I watched on as life wrung me like a tattered rag. I watched people walk in and out of my life. I felt alone and lonely. I felt like my wrongs outweighed my rights. I had given so much of myself to others, yet it didn't even matter to them. In many aspects, I felt that if I was placed on a balance scale, I am afraid I would have been found wanting.  So I felt I had to do this one thing for me. I had to get something right. I had to self-publish "Bonfire" for me. 

I did it for my students. 

In another sense, I did it for my many students; past and present. I have had the rare privilege of teaching future writers. However, many of them are afraid to dream big because they think those dreams won't come to pass. I, too, grew weary in watching them doubt themselves.  So I did this for them, too. As a testimony that there is greatness hidden in all of us, but we must dare to dig deep to retrieve it. 

I did it to inspire the world. 

I also did it for the many people like me, who are yet to discover their true calling and potential. Your dream is supposed to scare you. If it doesn't, then it isn't really a dream. I know what it feels like to be downtrodden, to feel like your best efforts are in vain and all your efforts are meaningless.  But I need you to understand that even your greatest dream is possible, if your shift your perspective. You must do your best where you are, with all that you are and with all that you have been given. It doesn't matter where you are right now. You have a passion, you should pursue it. You have a gift, you ought to share it with the world. 

In the end, I didn't write "Bonfire" just for me, but for all of us. For people like me, for people everywhere. For this generation and for those to come. There is a fire within us all, we must do all we can to keep it burning.  

To purchase "Bonfire" on Amazon.com, click on the link below. 

Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing. You have challenged me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You just inspire me to write my story but i am so scared. I'll do it scared anyway. Cause fear is not of God. For He did not give us a spirit of fear but of sound mind power and love. Keep doing this. You just never know who is watching. May you write many many more stories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooo. Now seeing this. Girl write that story. You deserve to be heard.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It Is Okay To Rest.

 Rest  Photo by Annie Spratt on Unsplash I recently rang a relative to wish her happy birthday and asked her what she planned to do for the day. She candidly replied, "Work. We are a hard-working family, remember?"  She was telling the truth. I grew up watching my family till the soil with their bare hands, after all "by the sweat our brow" we had to eat. There is nothing wrong with working hard to provide for yourself and others but at what cost? I decided a long time ago that would not be my narrative.  Balance  Photo by Karsten Winegeart on Unsplash  I know what it means to work yourself to the ground. I know what it means to grind and hustle. I know what it means to get caught up in the horrors and toxicity of capitalism. I had to watch my mother do it and, for a while, I inherited that culture.  But there is nothing wrong with laying it down and walking away to redefine productivity.  I know what it means to work myself to exhaustion but, I also know what it

Not Afraid of Winning!

 Not Afraid of Winning! Photo by Laurent Perren on Unsplash Like most writers and artists, I struggle with imposter syndrome and anxiety. I almost could not sit down and wield myself to write this blog.  I am learning that the first step to recovery is acknowledging you have a problem. I own that I am often afraid to pick up a pen and write, take my brush and paint much less to share my creations.  Don't get me wrong, I know greatness is in my bones. I know I can bend words and start a movement if I choose. But deep down, when the accolades are covered in dust, I tend to forget the kind of magic that exists within me. Some parts of me refuse to believe that I deserve to win.  Luckily, I am not alone in this battle and one of the perks of being part of a creative community is that you always have the wisdom of others walking you home. I'll always be grateful for my fellow writers (Edd and Erwin) and friends like Novie and Lisa who always encourage me to "do something"

I Am Not Alone.

                                                  I Am Not Alone.                                                                                  Photo by Saffu on Unsplash If we are anything alike, then you most likely value solitude. And there is nothing wrong with that. However, there are lessons that we need to learn alone and those we need to learn through community.  Photo by Hans Vivek on Unsplash I am finally brave enough to embrace a lesson that the Universe has been trying to teach me for some time now. Whenever I go through hard times, my first instinct is to isolate myself. I have been afraid to let others in (with good reason of course). I was afraid to ask for help or reach out.  Recently I came to realize that I am not alone and every dry spell, drought, or wilderness I had to walk through, there was always someone walking me home. I was not alone when I was rendered homeless twice. I was not alone when I had to move out. Neither was I alone when I moved from apartmen