Skip to main content

People are Complex.


Photo credit: Cash Macanaya on Unsplash



Do you write people off or do you take them as they?


While on my much-needed hiatus, I was able to do some introspection about life, people, and the spaces I occupy presently. 

Photo by Dom Aguiar on Unsplash


Earlier this year, I experienced a great betrayal (at one point or another, most of us have experienced this or will - it is part of life). I won't go into much detail, but it was from someone I held very dear and in high esteem. In the end, I realized that not everyone sees you as you see them. 
People are complex - not complicated but dynamic. 




If we are honest, we will admit that the people in our lives hold different roles for different folks. Someone we may deem as a hero in our story may very well be a villain in someone else's. I am sure that you have played a villainous role in someone's life. And that is perfectly fine because people are complex - multifaceted.  

Take a moment to think of the most intolerable person you know (the bad boy or gangster down the street who is always causing trouble, or your unappreciative bosses). Each of these individuals is loved intensely by someone. They may very well be a hero in the eyes of their loved ones. They are human with real fears and emotions like you. 




When we realize that people are complex and ever-evolving, we will save ourselves time and forgo heartbreak. We label others as "good" or "bad" when in reality, we all have desirable and undesirable qualities. 

If we are honest, sometimes we demonize people or give them angel wings before getting to know them. Surprisingly, monsters can save lives, and angels can break hearts. 

Photo credit: Jackson David on Unsplash 


Perhaps it is time we stop thinking of people as being exclusively "good" or "bad" and start thinking of them for what they are - complex. Because "good" people can let us down, and "bad" people tend to save lives. 


Thank you for showing up. Love and light to you. 
 

Comments

  1. Every coin has 2 sides. Every person can be seen through different lens. You're right my love. If we just see people as complex then we can erase the labels of good and bad. Complex covers the black, the white and the in between. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tend to look at everyone as me. I know my mixed emotions, mixed pleasures, mixed interests, moods and times. Therefore I don't expect too much from people yet I give them the benefit of their own time.

    However, even with this approach, it is still difficult to forgo heartbreak. Especially when it peeps through the smallest window that you let down your guard.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It Is Okay To Rest.

 Rest  Photo by Annie Spratt on Unsplash I recently rang a relative to wish her happy birthday and asked her what she planned to do for the day. She candidly replied, "Work. We are a hard-working family, remember?"  She was telling the truth. I grew up watching my family till the soil with their bare hands, after all "by the sweat our brow" we had to eat. There is nothing wrong with working hard to provide for yourself and others but at what cost? I decided a long time ago that would not be my narrative.  Balance  Photo by Karsten Winegeart on Unsplash  I know what it means to work yourself to the ground. I know what it means to grind and hustle. I know what it means to get caught up in the horrors and toxicity of capitalism. I had to watch my mother do it and, for a while, I inherited that culture.  But there is nothing wrong with laying it down and walking away to redefine productivity.  I know what it means to work myself to exhaustion but, I also know what it

Not Afraid of Winning!

 Not Afraid of Winning! Photo by Laurent Perren on Unsplash Like most writers and artists, I struggle with imposter syndrome and anxiety. I almost could not sit down and wield myself to write this blog.  I am learning that the first step to recovery is acknowledging you have a problem. I own that I am often afraid to pick up a pen and write, take my brush and paint much less to share my creations.  Don't get me wrong, I know greatness is in my bones. I know I can bend words and start a movement if I choose. But deep down, when the accolades are covered in dust, I tend to forget the kind of magic that exists within me. Some parts of me refuse to believe that I deserve to win.  Luckily, I am not alone in this battle and one of the perks of being part of a creative community is that you always have the wisdom of others walking you home. I'll always be grateful for my fellow writers (Edd and Erwin) and friends like Novie and Lisa who always encourage me to "do something"

I Am Not Alone.

                                                  I Am Not Alone.                                                                                  Photo by Saffu on Unsplash If we are anything alike, then you most likely value solitude. And there is nothing wrong with that. However, there are lessons that we need to learn alone and those we need to learn through community.  Photo by Hans Vivek on Unsplash I am finally brave enough to embrace a lesson that the Universe has been trying to teach me for some time now. Whenever I go through hard times, my first instinct is to isolate myself. I have been afraid to let others in (with good reason of course). I was afraid to ask for help or reach out.  Recently I came to realize that I am not alone and every dry spell, drought, or wilderness I had to walk through, there was always someone walking me home. I was not alone when I was rendered homeless twice. I was not alone when I had to move out. Neither was I alone when I moved from apartmen