Skip to main content

Hug that Child!




It took me a while but I am finally woman enough to admit it. I used to be afraid of being happy. I was afraid of experiencing joy. 

It might seem silly, I know. But cherophobia is more common than we care to admit. 

I think much of my fear stemmed from the false narratives I was fed as a child. "After laughing is crying" I would often hear. Whether it was on the basketball court, at school, or home. It did not take long for me to associate joy and sadness. I came to view happiness as a preamble to mourning.





After hours of playing basketball or swimming in the river without my mother's permission, I would come home to a waiting belt. No matter how much I enjoyed myself that joy was overshadowed by the punishment. 

I had my first and only birthday party at 12 years old. I enjoyed it. But soon after that, I lost most of my friends who came to the party. Part of me wished my mother had never thrown me a party for them to come and eat my snacks. The joy of that party was overshadowed by regret. 

When I grew older, our family gatherings seemed to be succeeded by mourning. We considered not having more celebratory activities but nobody can stop reggae. 


Even as an adult I realize that I am afraid to talk about my triumphs because I don't want to jinx myself. I often refrain from fun activities because I am afraid something terrible will happen. I also realize that I am prone to sabotage my relationships when they feel good. I am afraid that they are too good to be true and so I bow out. 


Photo by Anderson Shillingford


I am now at a place where I do not shy away from possible happiness or things that will bring me joy. I also tend to avoid situations that may mess with my chi. My exuberance is sacred; too sacred to be jeopardized. I am nursing my inner child. She needs to understand that it is okay to be happy, to smile, and to rejoice. There is nothing wrong with being joyful. And joy does not necessarily have to be followed by despair. However, if it is, that is okay. It is all part of life. 

I have come to realize that taking back your power does not only involve burning false narratives but doing the inner work. Taking your power back has a lot to do with you reaching within and hugging your inner child. Taking back your power often involves you fighting for joy. 

I am more intentional with my energy, my smile and my joy. Joy is a powerful thing. It transforms. It looks good on everyone. 

Why don't you try it? And even share it? Bring your circle with you on your journey back to joy. 

Photo by Joel Muniz on Unsplash



Have you ever been afraid of joy? How do you plan to take your power back?



Affirmation:

I am worthy of joy. 
I deserve to be happy. 
I celebrate my victories.
I am not afraid of praises. 

Comments

  1. As I read through this I began to fashion a response in my mind. But then I got to your affirmation and it had my comment already locked in.
    Stay blessed and keep that bonfire lit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg yes!!!! I swear we now have to re-parent ourselves. Basically facing the giants of the mountains that were ingrained into us and bring ourselves back to the light. Do you know how powerful that is? And scary? It's hard work but I'm so proud of you my love. I see you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️
    Yes!! It is also awe-inspiring and beautiful. Thank you for accompanying me on this journey back to joy. ♥️

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thank God for this gift of yours. It will surely make room for you. Thank you for this great piece of writing. Thank you that your writing increases my vocabulary. It was the affirmation for me!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It Is Okay To Rest.

 Rest  Photo by Annie Spratt on Unsplash I recently rang a relative to wish her happy birthday and asked her what she planned to do for the day. She candidly replied, "Work. We are a hard-working family, remember?"  She was telling the truth. I grew up watching my family till the soil with their bare hands, after all "by the sweat our brow" we had to eat. There is nothing wrong with working hard to provide for yourself and others but at what cost? I decided a long time ago that would not be my narrative.  Balance  Photo by Karsten Winegeart on Unsplash  I know what it means to work yourself to the ground. I know what it means to grind and hustle. I know what it means to get caught up in the horrors and toxicity of capitalism. I had to watch my mother do it and, for a while, I inherited that culture.  But there is nothing wrong with laying it down and walking away to redefine productivity.  I know what it means to work myself to exhaustion but, I also know what it

Not Afraid of Winning!

 Not Afraid of Winning! Photo by Laurent Perren on Unsplash Like most writers and artists, I struggle with imposter syndrome and anxiety. I almost could not sit down and wield myself to write this blog.  I am learning that the first step to recovery is acknowledging you have a problem. I own that I am often afraid to pick up a pen and write, take my brush and paint much less to share my creations.  Don't get me wrong, I know greatness is in my bones. I know I can bend words and start a movement if I choose. But deep down, when the accolades are covered in dust, I tend to forget the kind of magic that exists within me. Some parts of me refuse to believe that I deserve to win.  Luckily, I am not alone in this battle and one of the perks of being part of a creative community is that you always have the wisdom of others walking you home. I'll always be grateful for my fellow writers (Edd and Erwin) and friends like Novie and Lisa who always encourage me to "do something"

I Am Not Alone.

                                                  I Am Not Alone.                                                                                  Photo by Saffu on Unsplash If we are anything alike, then you most likely value solitude. And there is nothing wrong with that. However, there are lessons that we need to learn alone and those we need to learn through community.  Photo by Hans Vivek on Unsplash I am finally brave enough to embrace a lesson that the Universe has been trying to teach me for some time now. Whenever I go through hard times, my first instinct is to isolate myself. I have been afraid to let others in (with good reason of course). I was afraid to ask for help or reach out.  Recently I came to realize that I am not alone and every dry spell, drought, or wilderness I had to walk through, there was always someone walking me home. I was not alone when I was rendered homeless twice. I was not alone when I had to move out. Neither was I alone when I moved from apartmen