Skip to main content

Sing Me a Song!

 



It is the story I hear at almost every family gathering or every other weekend when I decide to go home. My mother tells this story the best and although I have very vague recollections, I can attest that there is truth to it. 

She says that as a child, I would not fall asleep at night unless she came to tuck me into bed. It was then that I would demand she sang me a song. She recalls there were times she would send my father to tuck me in but I would not relent. I wanted her to come by any means necessary or there would be sleep for none of us. 

Between laughs, she recalls how tired she was from caring for four children during the day but I would have none of it. I would not be happy until she began to exercise her vocal range. She sang songs about her faith, our folklore, and nursery rhymes. The little spider went up the water sprout countless times and I am not sure if he/she ever made it out. 

My mother hardly ever made it to the end of any of the songs. At times I think she needed the lullabies more than I did because she was the one who fell asleep. In the event I happened to dose off, her snores would awaken me. I vaguely recall hitting her to wake up from her slumber and in my childish glee I would say "sing mammy, sing." And like clockwork, my mother would begin singing one of the choruses she knew I liked. 



I can hear her singing "hush lil baby" right now, with her eyes half closed.


We laugh about it now but when my mother says I made bedtime a difficult task, I truly understand what she means. Besides the fact that I was an impulsive child and played on my mother's emotions as if they were violin strings, I also realized where my love for music came from. 


Two of her favorites were Amazing Grace written by John Newton and No Woman No Cry by Bob Marley. These two songs will always be on my playlists as I have grown to love them and the sentimental value they carry.

It does not end there, my father also tells me that no matter how many slaps I would get, I would not stop playing in his record player. At one point he thought I was going to a DJ. Although I would scratch his Bob Marley records, in hindsight he did not mind. Because there was nothing but sheer joy on my face and after all, children should be happy.

Those who know me know me well will tell you that I love music! I always have headphones on and if you need me to remove them you better have a good reason. Music keeps me going so much so I find it difficult to function without it. 

There are stories in songs and behind them. Songwriters often act as storytellers, although they do not get enough recognition for it,  they are preserving our stories and language. 

 We have songs written in our bones and our hearts, just like we have stories.

 What songs are your bones singing? What story is behind your song?


Comments

  1. Nice! I love this! Had me having nostalgic moments here. Keep om doing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, mission accomplished then.
    Thank you for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never had a song growing up but there is one I sing to Kenzi all the time. Looking forward I guess that will be something she will hold dear. I loved it my love��

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trust me, she will cherish the memories.
    ♥️

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It Is Okay To Rest.

 Rest  Photo by Annie Spratt on Unsplash I recently rang a relative to wish her happy birthday and asked her what she planned to do for the day. She candidly replied, "Work. We are a hard-working family, remember?"  She was telling the truth. I grew up watching my family till the soil with their bare hands, after all "by the sweat our brow" we had to eat. There is nothing wrong with working hard to provide for yourself and others but at what cost? I decided a long time ago that would not be my narrative.  Balance  Photo by Karsten Winegeart on Unsplash  I know what it means to work yourself to the ground. I know what it means to grind and hustle. I know what it means to get caught up in the horrors and toxicity of capitalism. I had to watch my mother do it and, for a while, I inherited that culture.  But there is nothing wrong with laying it down and walking away to redefine productivity.  I know what it means to work myself to exhaustion but, I also know what it

Not Afraid of Winning!

 Not Afraid of Winning! Photo by Laurent Perren on Unsplash Like most writers and artists, I struggle with imposter syndrome and anxiety. I almost could not sit down and wield myself to write this blog.  I am learning that the first step to recovery is acknowledging you have a problem. I own that I am often afraid to pick up a pen and write, take my brush and paint much less to share my creations.  Don't get me wrong, I know greatness is in my bones. I know I can bend words and start a movement if I choose. But deep down, when the accolades are covered in dust, I tend to forget the kind of magic that exists within me. Some parts of me refuse to believe that I deserve to win.  Luckily, I am not alone in this battle and one of the perks of being part of a creative community is that you always have the wisdom of others walking you home. I'll always be grateful for my fellow writers (Edd and Erwin) and friends like Novie and Lisa who always encourage me to "do something"

I Am Not Alone.

                                                  I Am Not Alone.                                                                                  Photo by Saffu on Unsplash If we are anything alike, then you most likely value solitude. And there is nothing wrong with that. However, there are lessons that we need to learn alone and those we need to learn through community.  Photo by Hans Vivek on Unsplash I am finally brave enough to embrace a lesson that the Universe has been trying to teach me for some time now. Whenever I go through hard times, my first instinct is to isolate myself. I have been afraid to let others in (with good reason of course). I was afraid to ask for help or reach out.  Recently I came to realize that I am not alone and every dry spell, drought, or wilderness I had to walk through, there was always someone walking me home. I was not alone when I was rendered homeless twice. I was not alone when I had to move out. Neither was I alone when I moved from apartmen