Skip to main content

Lessons I learnt this year.



The final week of the year, is a time where we see a lot of individuals planning for the new year. We make plans to try new diets, to change our attitudes, to be more productive etc. Those plans work for the first week and then we slowly begin to forget about those plans until we give up all together.  
The reason for that may be because many of us fail to do personal introspection. Introspection reminds us of far we have already travelled, how much we stayed on course or how much we strayed, how much we achieved and how much more we could have accomplished. 
It is only fitting to look back a bit before we venture to move forward, afterall there are always lessons to learn from the past. 
Here are a few personal lessons I learnt this year:
  1. You'll never know if you never try
  2. Do more, talk less
  3. Write down goals, tick them off
  4. Time is money 


You'll never know if you never try. 
I would often hear my mother say this, but I had no idea that I would soon become my reality.  There were so many things that I dreamt of doing but I held myself back because of the fear of failure. I was afraid of failing. But little did I know that failure was all a part of life. 
For instance, I always wanted to move out of my parent's house. I felt that I had outgrown that space and need to give my wings room so I could fly. I kept making excuses for several years. What if I couldn't survive without my folks? What if I failed and would have to move back home? What if... what if... what if...
When I finally mustered the strength to move all those what ifs seemed so silly and I regretted not having done it earlier. After I found my own space in January I was able to do so many things and let my creativity breathe freely.  Those "what ifs" just did not matter anymore.  I was glad I stepped out. I wouldn't have had such a liberating year had I not taken this step. 
So I encourage you to embrace change and fail forward. Because you will never know, if you don't try. 

Do more, talk less. 

A short phrase yet so powerful. Many men and women who have led successful careers, have this one thing in common. They do more than they say they will do. They let their actions speak instead of empty words. 
This year, I proved to myself that saying less helps you get more done. For instance, when I self-published in September, not many people around me knew. I got fed up of talking about things and never doing them and I figured my friends and family were fed up as well with my vain babble as well. 
And so I made strides in silence and worked while everyone else was asleep. I pushed myself to go the extra mile all because I wanted to prove that this personal goal could be achieved. 
When I finally had the first sample in my hand, I felt nothing, to be honest. I always knew it could done. Again, I only regretted taking so long to do it. 
But this simple fact remains, you should set your goals, talk about it less, stay focused and do something everyday to get closer to accomplishing it. 

Write down your goals, tick them off.

Action always trumps words. Without actions, words are worthless. The simple act of writing down your goals, also counts as action. So whether it's in a journal, just a notebook,  a post-it note or on your white-board, you should start by writing down your goals. Be it long-term or short-term. Achieving them depends on if you take continuous steps towards them. Though writing them may seem small, do not underestimate the power of the written word. Studies have proven that you remember what you write better than what you say. 

But that's not enough. If you do not take any steps to accomplish those written goals, it was all worthless. Those goals won't achieve themselves. You must get up and act. Wake up every morning, determined to accomplish your goal(s). This is why it is said that action and words go hand in hand. The former without the latter, is futile. 

Had I not written down my goal to get published, I would probably never have acted on it. Had I not acted I would probably still be dreaming of becoming a published writer. 

Time is Money.

Time is money. I can not say (write) this enough. TIME IS MONEY.  

As soon as you understand that time and money are not only valuable but they are equivalent. Time frames are essential to accomplishing goals. The more you procrastinate and wander through life aimlessly, is the more money you'll lose. 

No one wants to lose money. So why we do waste time? Instead of lying there wishing things were different, get up and start acting. Write down your goals. Take steps to ensure that those goals are achieved within a given time frame. 

I won't help you waste any more of your time. But before I end, let me remind you that it is always easier to dream than to act. The world remembers those who acted not those who dreamt and did nothing. The universe aids those who are brave enough to not procrastinate and in so doing, saves money. 

All the best in the New Year and new decade. 



Anella D Shillingford. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It Is Okay To Rest.

 Rest  Photo by Annie Spratt on Unsplash I recently rang a relative to wish her happy birthday and asked her what she planned to do for the day. She candidly replied, "Work. We are a hard-working family, remember?"  She was telling the truth. I grew up watching my family till the soil with their bare hands, after all "by the sweat our brow" we had to eat. There is nothing wrong with working hard to provide for yourself and others but at what cost? I decided a long time ago that would not be my narrative.  Balance  Photo by Karsten Winegeart on Unsplash  I know what it means to work yourself to the ground. I know what it means to grind and hustle. I know what it means to get caught up in the horrors and toxicity of capitalism. I had to watch my mother do it and, for a while, I inherited that culture.  But there is nothing wrong with laying it down and walking away to redefine productivity.  I know what it means to work myself to exhaustion but, I also know what it

Not Afraid of Winning!

 Not Afraid of Winning! Photo by Laurent Perren on Unsplash Like most writers and artists, I struggle with imposter syndrome and anxiety. I almost could not sit down and wield myself to write this blog.  I am learning that the first step to recovery is acknowledging you have a problem. I own that I am often afraid to pick up a pen and write, take my brush and paint much less to share my creations.  Don't get me wrong, I know greatness is in my bones. I know I can bend words and start a movement if I choose. But deep down, when the accolades are covered in dust, I tend to forget the kind of magic that exists within me. Some parts of me refuse to believe that I deserve to win.  Luckily, I am not alone in this battle and one of the perks of being part of a creative community is that you always have the wisdom of others walking you home. I'll always be grateful for my fellow writers (Edd and Erwin) and friends like Novie and Lisa who always encourage me to "do something"

I Am Not Alone.

                                                  I Am Not Alone.                                                                                  Photo by Saffu on Unsplash If we are anything alike, then you most likely value solitude. And there is nothing wrong with that. However, there are lessons that we need to learn alone and those we need to learn through community.  Photo by Hans Vivek on Unsplash I am finally brave enough to embrace a lesson that the Universe has been trying to teach me for some time now. Whenever I go through hard times, my first instinct is to isolate myself. I have been afraid to let others in (with good reason of course). I was afraid to ask for help or reach out.  Recently I came to realize that I am not alone and every dry spell, drought, or wilderness I had to walk through, there was always someone walking me home. I was not alone when I was rendered homeless twice. I was not alone when I had to move out. Neither was I alone when I moved from apartmen