Skip to main content

Poetry Saved My Life - Part I

 


Photo by annie pm on Unsplash



As we celebrate National Poetry Month, I figured it is fitting to share my favorite poetry collections with you. 


Poetry can be such a joy. I know many detest the art form as it tends to be intimidating but for some of us poetry is a balm. 


I have always loved books but some modern poetry collections resonated differently. They've helped me step out of the shadows and into my voice. 


I believe that good poetry is like medicine. When I am spiraling or need a pep talk I just grab one of the poetry books from the bookshelf, run myself a bath and let the words work their magic. If I had not found poetry when I did Lord knows where I would be. 


This is why I have chosen Rupi Kaur's The Sun and Her Flowers as my first pick to share with you. 




Photo by Sincerely Media on Unsplash


Lessons from The Sun and Her Flowers


  1. Flowers and plants can teach us a lot about ourselves. We go through stages too. We wilt, we root, we will fall but we can rise and bloom. 
  2. Our experiences affect us whether we believe it or not. We walk around with trauma, which in turn affects the way we love and live. Unless we do something about it. 
  3. The "Mother Wound" runs deep. Sometimes, the things which hurt our mothers are passed down to us. We share their deep-seated pain but healing is possible. 
  4. Though your voice may shake, sharing your story can bring healing. Collective healing is very much a thing and we are stronger together. Healed women heal women is a mantra I live by and has been deepened by The Sun and Her Flowers. Telling our stories can be so powerful.
  5. We ought to love our bodies. Coming home to yourself is coming to the realization that your body is a temple and home. Your body is sacred and beautiful irrespective of the scars and stretch marks. Honoring our bodies and ourselves is such an important thing to do.
  6. The Sun and Her Flowers should not only be read by women but also by those who want to learn to love women well. 




If this resonated with you do not hesitate to purchase The Sun and Her Flowers: 


https://www.amazon.com/Sun-Her-Flowers-Rupi-Kaur/dp/1449486797



Which poetry collections resonate with you? I'd love to hear from you.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It Is Okay To Rest.

 Rest  Photo by Annie Spratt on Unsplash I recently rang a relative to wish her happy birthday and asked her what she planned to do for the day. She candidly replied, "Work. We are a hard-working family, remember?"  She was telling the truth. I grew up watching my family till the soil with their bare hands, after all "by the sweat our brow" we had to eat. There is nothing wrong with working hard to provide for yourself and others but at what cost? I decided a long time ago that would not be my narrative.  Balance  Photo by Karsten Winegeart on Unsplash  I know what it means to work yourself to the ground. I know what it means to grind and hustle. I know what it means to get caught up in the horrors and toxicity of capitalism. I had to watch my mother do it and, for a while, I inherited that culture.  But there is nothing wrong with laying it down and walking away to redefine productivity.  I know what it means to work myself to exhaustion but, I also know what it

Not Afraid of Winning!

 Not Afraid of Winning! Photo by Laurent Perren on Unsplash Like most writers and artists, I struggle with imposter syndrome and anxiety. I almost could not sit down and wield myself to write this blog.  I am learning that the first step to recovery is acknowledging you have a problem. I own that I am often afraid to pick up a pen and write, take my brush and paint much less to share my creations.  Don't get me wrong, I know greatness is in my bones. I know I can bend words and start a movement if I choose. But deep down, when the accolades are covered in dust, I tend to forget the kind of magic that exists within me. Some parts of me refuse to believe that I deserve to win.  Luckily, I am not alone in this battle and one of the perks of being part of a creative community is that you always have the wisdom of others walking you home. I'll always be grateful for my fellow writers (Edd and Erwin) and friends like Novie and Lisa who always encourage me to "do something"

I Am Not Alone.

                                                  I Am Not Alone.                                                                                  Photo by Saffu on Unsplash If we are anything alike, then you most likely value solitude. And there is nothing wrong with that. However, there are lessons that we need to learn alone and those we need to learn through community.  Photo by Hans Vivek on Unsplash I am finally brave enough to embrace a lesson that the Universe has been trying to teach me for some time now. Whenever I go through hard times, my first instinct is to isolate myself. I have been afraid to let others in (with good reason of course). I was afraid to ask for help or reach out.  Recently I came to realize that I am not alone and every dry spell, drought, or wilderness I had to walk through, there was always someone walking me home. I was not alone when I was rendered homeless twice. I was not alone when I had to move out. Neither was I alone when I moved from apartmen