Skip to main content

Burning False Narratives!




                                                       Photo by Hans Isaacson on Unsplash

I recently listened to the Talisman album by Colton T and it has been on repeat since then. 


In all honesty, the compilation has given me fuel to continue creating but it also helped me realize how difficult it is to create when we have been fed false narratives.


"It is my story. I will write it."


Too many people wanted to write my story for me. Too many hands attempted to spin my narrative. It was and still is my life and I had to be brave enough to live it on my own terms. 


Too many times we allow others to project their fears onto us. Too many times we drink the potions we are offered and take it as gospel. 


They will try to tell us how our dreams are too big and how they will never materialize. 




                                                      

                                                    Photo by Vadim Sadovski on Unsplash


It is important that we do not believe or buy into such falsehoods. We need to burn every false narrative which we have ever been told. 


I have lost count of the number of times I have been told that I should leave my country and migrate to someplace else, where art is more profitable. A place where people like me thrive. They said I would never find love here nor would I feel fulfilled. For a while, I drank that potion for it seemed to make a lot more sense than to remain in a place where I would never be accepted. 


                                                    Photo by Vadim Sadovski on Unsplash




But this is my country as much as it is theirs and I should not have to run just to feel like I belong. What if the ultimate glow-up is to be able to thrive where you are using what you have? This is a question I have been asking myself in recent times. Do not get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with wanting to broaden one's horizon. But there is also nothing wrong with staying where you have been planted and growing. 


To believe that the grass is greener on the other side is a narrative we have been fed for too long but may not necessarily be true. The grass is greener where you choose to water it and for now, I choose to water my homeland. For now, I think I am doing just fine. I am writing, selling art and finding love.




                                                        Photo by Annie Spratt on Unsplash


We often believe that happiness lies on the other side of where we are now. But what if happiness is right where we are?


We often attach happiness to a goal or achievement. But what if happiness has always been with us just waiting to be acknowledged? 




I am here. I am safe. I happy.
I choose to burn every false narrative.
I will write my own story. 

This has been my mantra lately. 

 

Burning false narratives can do much for you. It can feel like finally coming home to yourself. It can feel like freedom. It can feel like a garden of lilies and sunflowers. It can feel like a bouquet of freshly picked flowers. You choose.

What false narratives do you need to drench in kerosene, crack a single match and watch on as it burns? Or will you hold it over an open flame and allow the crackling sound of the fire to become music to your ears?

Please feel free to comment I would love to hear. 

 

 

Comments

  1. As always this is it!! Burning false narratives! We can water our grass wherever we are and it will grow!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It Is Okay To Rest.

 Rest  Photo by Annie Spratt on Unsplash I recently rang a relative to wish her happy birthday and asked her what she planned to do for the day. She candidly replied, "Work. We are a hard-working family, remember?"  She was telling the truth. I grew up watching my family till the soil with their bare hands, after all "by the sweat our brow" we had to eat. There is nothing wrong with working hard to provide for yourself and others but at what cost? I decided a long time ago that would not be my narrative.  Balance  Photo by Karsten Winegeart on Unsplash  I know what it means to work yourself to the ground. I know what it means to grind and hustle. I know what it means to get caught up in the horrors and toxicity of capitalism. I had to watch my mother do it and, for a while, I inherited that culture.  But there is nothing wrong with laying it down and walking away to redefine productivity.  I know what it means to work myself to exhaustion but, I also know what it

Not Afraid of Winning!

 Not Afraid of Winning! Photo by Laurent Perren on Unsplash Like most writers and artists, I struggle with imposter syndrome and anxiety. I almost could not sit down and wield myself to write this blog.  I am learning that the first step to recovery is acknowledging you have a problem. I own that I am often afraid to pick up a pen and write, take my brush and paint much less to share my creations.  Don't get me wrong, I know greatness is in my bones. I know I can bend words and start a movement if I choose. But deep down, when the accolades are covered in dust, I tend to forget the kind of magic that exists within me. Some parts of me refuse to believe that I deserve to win.  Luckily, I am not alone in this battle and one of the perks of being part of a creative community is that you always have the wisdom of others walking you home. I'll always be grateful for my fellow writers (Edd and Erwin) and friends like Novie and Lisa who always encourage me to "do something"

I Am Not Alone.

                                                  I Am Not Alone.                                                                                  Photo by Saffu on Unsplash If we are anything alike, then you most likely value solitude. And there is nothing wrong with that. However, there are lessons that we need to learn alone and those we need to learn through community.  Photo by Hans Vivek on Unsplash I am finally brave enough to embrace a lesson that the Universe has been trying to teach me for some time now. Whenever I go through hard times, my first instinct is to isolate myself. I have been afraid to let others in (with good reason of course). I was afraid to ask for help or reach out.  Recently I came to realize that I am not alone and every dry spell, drought, or wilderness I had to walk through, there was always someone walking me home. I was not alone when I was rendered homeless twice. I was not alone when I had to move out. Neither was I alone when I moved from apartmen