Skip to main content

Look on The Bright Side!

 

Photo credit: Javon Swaby

 

I had so many plans for this year! This was supposed to be my year of revival, releases and recovery. I thought for sure had seen enough down days and I had been educated at the school of hard-knock for long enough; it was time for graduation.  

It was much to my dismay when this lock-down was issued and my plans had to be placed on hold. I did not plan for this. Where did this set-back fit into my plan? After all, 2020 was really supposed to be a movie.

I had to learn through the disappointment, through the pain and loneliness. As a writer, you learn to see the good in everything but when you are "in medias res" this can be quite a task. 

 

If we are to be honest a lot of good has come from this lock-down.

 

 

Photo credit: Kehn Herman

 

It has made us more creative.

 

As creatives we are taught that the world is our stage and we must always be prepared to perform, even if that means with bruised knees and tears in our eyes. With the on-set of so many regulations and the inability to meet physically, we have found innovative ways to connect and to support each other. 

A few of those ways include Instagram Lives, YouTube concerts and Zoom Meetings. I have been privileged enough to attend some of these forums (which I probably would never have time for before) such as the Open Mic nights by @Busboysandpoets on Instagram, poetry workshops with Poetry Foundation. 

 

Besides these forums, artists and creatives are finding more ways to connect with their supporters. Social distancing has not stopped artists like Kes, John Legend, Voice (The Artist) and Teyana Taylor from releasing new music and innovative videos. We know how much music means to us a people and the mere fact that they have gone over and beyond to record in the living rooms and backyards to ensure we have new sounds to keep us hopeful and positive means a lot. 

 


Photo credit: Kaique Rocha

It has made us more mindful.

 

I have observed that during the lock-down others have become more mindful of others and how actions affect those around. I was rather concerned when the grocery stores were left bare and very little was left for the front-line workers to consume. However, when the panic had subsided regulations were put in place and front-line workers were given stipulated hours to shop. Some companies even went as far as delivering to front-line workers. I am sure they were very grateful.

Some of us have now taken time out to consider the plight of the essential workers and how much they sacrifice to ensure the rest of us remain safe. They risk their lives and leave their families everyday to report for duty and the most they ask is that we honour protocols put in place. They are truly heroes. 

We have are also aware, now more than ever, of the "plight" of teachers. Parents now salute teachers for their hard work and patience. Not everyone is cut out to be a teacher and although many parents are claiming they are often frustrated, their new found reverence of teachers is noteworthy.

 

Photo credit: Pixabay

The Earth is breathing. 

 

If we are to be honest, we have not always been kind to the Earth and our environment. Since the lock-down we have witnessed less pollution, cleaner air and rivers, like in cities such as Venice. Some of us who have been observant of this change have tried pointing it out to our loved ones and we can only hope that they take heed. But the Earth is breathing. When the world opens its airports and doors once more we can only hope that we remain mindful that the Earth is our home and we must take care of her. 

 

 

 

Photo credit: Pixabay

We must remember to always look on the bright side of things no matter how difficult it may seem. There is always light at the end of the tunnel but sometimes it may take you a while before you recognize it is there. During that time you must ensure that you learn as many life lessons as you possible can because life is always teaching us lessons. 

 

Creatives

Artists

Innovators

Essential Workers

Front-line Workers

 

We say a huge THANK YOU! Keep up the good work.

 

Thank you for reading. You are incredible. 

 

Please leave a comment below to say thank you to our creatives, artists, innovators, essential and front-line workers. 

 

 

 

 


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It Is Okay To Rest.

 Rest  Photo by Annie Spratt on Unsplash I recently rang a relative to wish her happy birthday and asked her what she planned to do for the day. She candidly replied, "Work. We are a hard-working family, remember?"  She was telling the truth. I grew up watching my family till the soil with their bare hands, after all "by the sweat our brow" we had to eat. There is nothing wrong with working hard to provide for yourself and others but at what cost? I decided a long time ago that would not be my narrative.  Balance  Photo by Karsten Winegeart on Unsplash  I know what it means to work yourself to the ground. I know what it means to grind and hustle. I know what it means to get caught up in the horrors and toxicity of capitalism. I had to watch my mother do it and, for a while, I inherited that culture.  But there is nothing wrong with laying it down and walking away to redefine productivity.  I know what it means to work myself to exhaustion but, I also know what it

Not Afraid of Winning!

 Not Afraid of Winning! Photo by Laurent Perren on Unsplash Like most writers and artists, I struggle with imposter syndrome and anxiety. I almost could not sit down and wield myself to write this blog.  I am learning that the first step to recovery is acknowledging you have a problem. I own that I am often afraid to pick up a pen and write, take my brush and paint much less to share my creations.  Don't get me wrong, I know greatness is in my bones. I know I can bend words and start a movement if I choose. But deep down, when the accolades are covered in dust, I tend to forget the kind of magic that exists within me. Some parts of me refuse to believe that I deserve to win.  Luckily, I am not alone in this battle and one of the perks of being part of a creative community is that you always have the wisdom of others walking you home. I'll always be grateful for my fellow writers (Edd and Erwin) and friends like Novie and Lisa who always encourage me to "do something"

I Am Not Alone.

                                                  I Am Not Alone.                                                                                  Photo by Saffu on Unsplash If we are anything alike, then you most likely value solitude. And there is nothing wrong with that. However, there are lessons that we need to learn alone and those we need to learn through community.  Photo by Hans Vivek on Unsplash I am finally brave enough to embrace a lesson that the Universe has been trying to teach me for some time now. Whenever I go through hard times, my first instinct is to isolate myself. I have been afraid to let others in (with good reason of course). I was afraid to ask for help or reach out.  Recently I came to realize that I am not alone and every dry spell, drought, or wilderness I had to walk through, there was always someone walking me home. I was not alone when I was rendered homeless twice. I was not alone when I had to move out. Neither was I alone when I moved from apartmen