Skip to main content

My Voice, My Pen

Many have posed this question to me in my lifetime, "why do you write?"
I often pause and ponder, "is this really what I want to do?"
After much deliberation and contemplation, I have only one conclusion; this is what I was born to do. I was born to write. To share my pain, my passion, my victories and triumphs with the rest of the world. This is my greatest joy yet.

"When I think about myself, I almost choke" (Maya Angelou).

I often find myself sharing her sentiments. It is ironic that I would call myself a writer. A paradox even.
This is where my laughter often stems from.
As a child I learnt to read and write a lot later than my classmates. I was always behind. The last to copy notes and the last to finish a test. I did not make much of it at my age. I just thought to myself "I was slower than everyone else".

So you can only imagine the look on my elementary teacher's face when she learnt that I had graduated with honors in English Literature at the end of High School. She was stunned. But my mother was not.
"I always knew you could do it!" She said.

But did I know I could do it? I'm still not sure.

It was not a matter of proving others wrong or stunning the naysayers. I had found my passion, although I did not know it then. But that was what fueled me back then. Reading. I loved living the experiences of others and reading their thoughts.
That passion gave birth to another joy in me. I loved to write. Although, I would discover this second passion a lot later than the first, it is indescribable what these two have done for me in my lifetime.

But these joys have not always been jubilant. Another paradox in my narrative, I know. Reading, writing and speaking about the 'hard things' can never be an easy thing for an introvert. There were many times when writing was painful for me. Especially when I had to uncover past hurt and hurt old wounds. But I have come to the realization that "nothing in life worth having comes easy".

And so, this is why I write. This is my version of bravery. From one who could not read and write to someone who lives and breathes literary pieces. Sometimes it comes easy other times I have to cut through the hurt and watch myself bleed before I can put pen to paper.
But when it comes down to the wire, I would not have it any other way. This is my voice. My pen.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It Is Okay To Rest.

 Rest  Photo by Annie Spratt on Unsplash I recently rang a relative to wish her happy birthday and asked her what she planned to do for the day. She candidly replied, "Work. We are a hard-working family, remember?"  She was telling the truth. I grew up watching my family till the soil with their bare hands, after all "by the sweat our brow" we had to eat. There is nothing wrong with working hard to provide for yourself and others but at what cost? I decided a long time ago that would not be my narrative.  Balance  Photo by Karsten Winegeart on Unsplash  I know what it means to work yourself to the ground. I know what it means to grind and hustle. I know what it means to get caught up in the horrors and toxicity of capitalism. I had to watch my mother do it and, for a while, I inherited that culture.  But there is nothing wrong with laying it down and walking away to redefine productivity.  I know what it means to work myself to exhaustion but, I also know what it

Not Afraid of Winning!

 Not Afraid of Winning! Photo by Laurent Perren on Unsplash Like most writers and artists, I struggle with imposter syndrome and anxiety. I almost could not sit down and wield myself to write this blog.  I am learning that the first step to recovery is acknowledging you have a problem. I own that I am often afraid to pick up a pen and write, take my brush and paint much less to share my creations.  Don't get me wrong, I know greatness is in my bones. I know I can bend words and start a movement if I choose. But deep down, when the accolades are covered in dust, I tend to forget the kind of magic that exists within me. Some parts of me refuse to believe that I deserve to win.  Luckily, I am not alone in this battle and one of the perks of being part of a creative community is that you always have the wisdom of others walking you home. I'll always be grateful for my fellow writers (Edd and Erwin) and friends like Novie and Lisa who always encourage me to "do something"

I Am Not Alone.

                                                  I Am Not Alone.                                                                                  Photo by Saffu on Unsplash If we are anything alike, then you most likely value solitude. And there is nothing wrong with that. However, there are lessons that we need to learn alone and those we need to learn through community.  Photo by Hans Vivek on Unsplash I am finally brave enough to embrace a lesson that the Universe has been trying to teach me for some time now. Whenever I go through hard times, my first instinct is to isolate myself. I have been afraid to let others in (with good reason of course). I was afraid to ask for help or reach out.  Recently I came to realize that I am not alone and every dry spell, drought, or wilderness I had to walk through, there was always someone walking me home. I was not alone when I was rendered homeless twice. I was not alone when I had to move out. Neither was I alone when I moved from apartmen